Friday, March 16, 2007

Neva Knows the Score, part 1

Marks of a Revolutionary Christian Woman
By Neva Whitney

First and Foremost
Am I a woman of the Word?
Am I a woman of prayer?
Am I a woman of fellowship?

1. A Revolutionary Christian Woman experiences JOY and PEACE, even in the most challenging daily trials.


It is not if we have problems, it is when ...

How will you respond?
Rebel?
Faint?
Complain?
Self – Indulge?


Or will you recognize that God has brought the trial for a purpose.

When faced with trials:
Pray. Ask God for endurance.
Don’t blame God, some trials are self-inflicted.
Don’t assume that just because I am a Christian, that all good things must come my way.
Remember, God is good and he cares.

James 1:2-4
Consider it pure joy, my brothers, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith develops perseverance. Perseverance must finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything.

1Peter 5:6-7
Humble yourselves, therefore, under God's mighty hand, that he may lift you up in due time. Cast all your anxiety on him because he cares for you.


2 Corinthians 9:8
And God is able to make all grace abound to you, so that in all things at all times, having all that you need, you will abound in every good work.


I am most impacted by the point of daily trials. I’ve seen my fair share of trials (pride!) so when women speak on this subject I often tune them out, because I figure I’ve already learned the key to perseverance through trials … keep your eyes on Christ, and keep on keepin’ on. (Pride! I have all the answers!)

But often times I view trials as an event. Some sort of major life change or something or other that somehow operates outside of the details of my daily life. Often, those details are what force me to persevere. In spite of scenario x I will get up and go to work, I will smile at my patients although they have no idea the thoughts in my head, I will arrive at church early and leave late, I will read my Bible, I will pray, I will praise God. Trials usually come in situations that are out of my control, so those little daily things are what I use to maintain control.
But right now, I’m definitely dealing with a daily trial. At this juncture in time, I hate my job and I feel like I’m wasting my time. Because I feel this way about my work, my job performance is starting to suffer. My boss has become aware of my apathy and there are consequences. Because of these consequences, I hate my job more, feel more like I am wasting my time, and care less about my work.

I think you can see where this is going.

I have no JOY at work, which is evident in my interactions with my co-workers which are remarkably different than my interactions with my friends. I do not daily have joy and peace. I daily have sorrow and anxiety and it’s affecting my life. I suppose I haven’t, until this time, seen the specifically as a trial. I’ve just seen it as crappiness.

My job provides me with excellent benefits, including reduced tuition at the University of Utah, so somehow in my mind, I see the lameness of my job as a trade off for the perks. It's a necessary evil I must endure in order to reap the benefits. But I’m not enduring it very well. I haven’t seen it as a way which God is trying to change me and refine me.

To me the process of refinement usually entails a choice. Will I choose my flesh? It’s an easier choice, to whine and complain to my friend, to get annoyed with my co-workers, to live in daydreams rather than reality, but the consequences are bad. I’m rebuked by my boss and my inclination toward anxiety and depression increases. This means that I must choose God. But since this is a trial that exists with I the very details of my life, one of the things that I use to get my through trials, I’m not sure how to do that.

2. A Revolutionary Christian Woman knows there is only one person she should FEAR and one person she should TRUST IN.

Psalm 25:12-15

Who, then, is the man that fears the LORD ?
He will instruct him in the way chosen for him.
He will spend his days in prosperity,

and his descendants will inherit the land.
The LORD confides in those who fear him;

he makes his covenant known to them.
My eyes are ever on the LORD,

for only he will release my feet from the snare.


3. A Revolutionary Christian Woman is HARDWORKING EVERYDAY and as much as possible is FAITHFUL IN ALL THINGS.

2 Corinthians 12:15

So I will very gladly spend for you everything I have and expend myself as well. If I love you more, will you love me less?

Sometimes it’s easier to give to those who love you and whom you love, BUT a woman who claims to fear God are ALWAYS servants to EVERYONE. And we serve our family and people not knowing how it will turn out.

Women who claim to fear God, CANNOT and WILL NOT be inconvenienced.

Whelp, this is pretty much my answer. Thanks God for nailing this one on the head.

Another result of my apathy at work is blatant laziness. If I believe what I do is not important, why should I bother doing it? That is the core of my issue at work right now. I don’t think my job is important (Pride! Whoever said I needed to have an important job?) , and I am too good to do it (pride!). But this is not what I’m called to.

Will all my heart I want to be a revolutionary Christian woman, so I must apply this principle, not waiting until a time when I have a job important enough to work hard at, but to work hard now to prepare me quite honestly for the handwork that I know is ahead of me (marriage, motherhood, CEO of a non-prof).

It’s true, it’s really easy for me to work hard to serve my roommates, to serve the boys in my small group, to prepare for various outreach events, because I will be edified by those whom I love. I guess the answer, or at least what God is revealing to me is to BUCKLE DOWN.

No comments: