Friday, October 10, 2008

"The Noticer"Episode 1: The Case of the Misnamed Baby

So I really love mysteries. I'm borderline obsessed with them, and I'm always hoping for a real live (but not scary) mystery to take place in my own life. My favorite dectives are the ones like Sherlock Holmes, Velma and the slighty creepy guy on Law and Order: Criminal Intent who solve their mysteries by paying attention to all the stuff that other people don't notice. Maybe because of all the mystery stories I've read, I kinda think that I notice more stuff the the average person, I also like to learn all sorts of random stuff so that I can understand more about the stuff that I notice. My roommate and I have developed a premise for my eventual mystery show which will more than likely aired on the USA network. So far we've got a title and a tagline. Ready?

The Noticer: I notice shit.

It's good, huh? We haven't decided what the theme music will be, but it will be good. I'm in need of a sidekick too.

Yesterday, I solved my first observational mystery, as The Noticer will probably not want to get herself entangled with a dark criminal element. Here it is:

The Case of the Misnamed Baby

Clue #1: Travis is an associate director of the best group home that brings clients into my office. He's the epitome of returned missionary: clean cut, well dressed, good looking in the boy next door sort of way, and genuinely, profoundly nice. He's married, and he and his wife just had their first baby this summer. Being new parents, they struggled to pick the name that would forever identify and define their daughter. Just before their baby was born they concluded that she shall be known as Reagan. The family prepared, quilting and crocheting, and emblazened the name Reagan on every type of fabric a baby could possibly need.

Clue #2: Travis came into work one day, shortly after Reagan was born to show us pictures of his beautiful new baby girl. When I asked what her name was, he grinned sheepishly, "It's a funny story," he said. Turns out, that about a week after Baby Reagan had been home, her mother gazingly loving into her baby's face, decided that she just didn't look like a Reagan, and that she wanted to change her name. The other name the couple had considered was Shelby and so, per momma's orders, their new daughter birth certificate was changed, all of her Reagan Gear was packed away, she is to henceforth be known as Shelby, the name that Travis has preferred all along.

Clue#3: Whenever Travis comes into the office, while waiting in the lobby he picks up the same tired copy of Car and Driver magazine. More than once, I've heard in make comments about cars that show more that an ordinary interest in the machines. It seems Travis is a Car Guy.

Clue#4: Although I can't remember how this conversation came about, one day, one of Travis's employees mentioned to me that Travis always keeps a model of a Shelby Mustang on his desk. I did not know there was such a thing as a Shelby Mustang before this time, but being The Noticer, my interest was piqued.

Mystery Solved: Travis came into the office yesterday, picked up his favorite copy of Car and Driver magazine, and waited for his client to arrive for the appointment. One of my more "unique" clients was in the waiting room, and essentially started to hit on Travis. He's is a good-looking fellow, so this was nothing new for him, he quickly mentioned that he was married and had a baby girl. My patient asked the baby's name, and Travis began "It's a funny story actually ..." When he'd told the tale to my client, who quickly lost interest, I said to him "Oh, by the way, I've been meaning to ask you, I don't supposed your daughter's name has anything to do with the Shelby Mustang." He turned his face away from me, blushing, but trying to hide a smile. "My wife doesn't like for me to bring up the fact that it's also a name of a car ..."

CASE CLOSED

3 comments:

Ashleigh said...

Ten,
You are amazing. You really have a feel and knack for detective work. It is important work, and someone needs to do it. I didn't have any idea where you were going with that story until the end, and then WHAMMO!, you brought it together. I don't think you even need a sidekick, you are that good.
Best of luck with future mysteries,
~Ashleigh

Naomi Haverland said...

That was truly impressive investigating you did there (I'll try to be extra inconspicuous next time we meet)
This is kinda related: Matt's sister Sarah and her husband have a daughter named Elise. Tim came up with the name and convinced Sarah of it and then later revealed that Elise is actually a car. I guess guys like to name their kids after cars... or in my case, after space vehicles.

Rachel said...

I love it when you finally write again. :)