Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Crush of the Week

The first real crush I can remember was on Luke Skywalker. No kidding. I'm more of a Han Solo girl these days, but I can recall the exact place I was seated in my parents living room (on top of the heating vent at my father's feet) the first time I thought "That boy is cute." I could have been no older than four sitting there watching Luke Skywalker crash his X-wing in the into the snow during the opening battle of "The Empire Strikes Back."


The crushes have never really stopped since then ...


I think of a crush as overwhelming feelings of adoration for a person, place or thing, whom for a brief period of time you wonder how on earth you ever lived and breathed without experiencing their presence, and in whom you develop a persistant desire to unfolded every aspect of their being. And then, you get over it.


With this definition in mind, I've had a lot of crushes over the years, and they don't always relate to people.


Here's a list of my current crushes:
  • Doug Fabrizio, host of Radio West on KUER. I have no idea what he looks like, nor do I enjoy his show all that much, but each morning when he chimes in during the local news report, I find his voice riveting.
  • Coretta Scott King, I'm just shy of finishing a biography of Martin Luther King, Jr and over and over again he explains that his wife and the support she gave him are what allowed him to be the man he was and lean the peaceful revolution that he did. I want to know more about her, and how to be a wife of a man like that.
  • Body for Life (I never said it had to be a human being). Um, I never really thought that I would publically admit that I enjoy excerise, but seriously, I've only been doing this program for a week and I can't get enough of it.
  • Hazelnut Gelato. Reason alone to go to Provo.

2 comments:

Kendra said...

Tru Dat on Doug Fabrizio!

I can't believe I said 'tru dat,' but you know....

it's the voice, and the face.

Hi, I'm kendra.

Rachel said...

I met Doug Fabrizio, and I still have a crush on him. :)